Tuesday, April 12, 2016

THE END OF CELIA'S JOURNAL: Sunday, April 11; and Monday, April 12; 1869

Sunday, April 11, 1869
This has been a beautiful day, but it is quite wet to night. Maria came up to day. She got here about 10 o’clock. Melia did not come until afternoon, and then they all came with the horses and carriage. They staid about an hour. Rob and Clara went to meeting this morning. There was a funeral to day for Garden’s little girl.
I don’t feel at all well to night. I am afraid I am going to be sick, but I hope not. Rob and Maria have gone down to a circle to Mr. Chappel’s this evening.

Monday, April 12, 1869
This has been a wintry day. It commenced to snow about noon, and it snowed steady all the afternoon. There is about 4 inches of snow on the ground now. I washed this forenoon and got my clothes dry and ready to iorn. I feel quite smart to day, thank heaven, much better than I thought I should.

Pa has been at work for John Mendham’s to day. The boys have been chopping up ______ and putting it in the wood.

***

Neice Notes: This marks the end of Celia's journal. Tomorrow (or so) I'll post an epilogue detailing what happened in the weeks and years following, as well as some recipes that she shared on undated entries. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment