Friday, January 1, 2016

Thursday, December 31, 1868; and Friday, January 1, 1869

Thursday, December 31, 1868
Well, I suppose this is the best day of this year, and it is quite cold to night! It seems to be such a short year.
I have been sewing carpet rags most of the day. This afternoon I hemmed my handkerchief that Maria gave me and this evening I have been knitting. I commenced to foot a pair of stockings.
I have felt about sick to day. Have had sick head ache.

Friday, January 1, 1869

Well, this is the first day of another year, and it has been a very stormy day, and the wind blows, and snow is drifting into great banks. I have been doing some baking, and I have finished my stockings that I commenced to foot. It is not so very cold, and has commenced to rain some this evening, rain and freeze.

***

Neice Notes: The journal that Celia wrote in was only dated to go through the year 1868. When 1869 began, she went back and wrote her entries on the dates when she had been really sick the year before. When those ran out (as I'll note later) she simply took blank pieces of paper and wrote the dates in herself, fitting the paper in a pocket in the back of the journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment