Monday, March 7, 2016

Saturday, March 6; and Sunday, March 7; 1869

Saturday, March 6, 1869
            A very cold and stormy day. This is the coldest weather we have had this winter! I have been doing a little of everything. I baked bread and pies this forenoon, and this afternoon I finished piecing a quilt lining. This evening had nothing to do, so I am reading a Book that I borrowed from Mrs. Harper, called Women’s work in the Civil War.
            Will went down town this evening but got no letters. I expected one from Ruth.

            Sunday, March 7, 1869
            This has been a cold, stormy day. It has snowed all the afternoon. Maria has been up to day. She could not stay very long. Mrs. Andrews has not got able to do anything yet, but she is a good deal better so as to be able to sit up.
            Rob has not been home to day. We did not expect him, as he was hurt Wednesday.

            I wrote to Floyd to say Mother is about sick to day. She had a hard chill this morning.

***

Neice Note: With a bit of searching, I was able to find Woman's Work in The Civil War in its entirety online. Here's the link if you want to check it out! (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21853/21853-h/21853-h.htm) First published in 1867, this book covers the work of "unheard of" and "forgotten" women in the Civil War like Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton.


No comments:

Post a Comment